The European Art & Old Masters department grew out of Freeman’s continued success with the sale of European works of art from the sixteenth to nineteeth centuries that were previously included in our Fine American & European Paintings & Sculpture auctions. Our European Art & Old Masters auctions will be held biannually in June and January. This particular area of art continues to realize strong prices and has displayed a sustained resilience during the pronounced fluctuations of the overall art market.
Highlights from recent auctions include:
· A painting by Hubert Robert sold for $331,000
· A still life by German Johann William Preyer achieved $191,200
· An elegant portrait by Dutch-born Sir Peter Lely sold for $169,000
· A Flemish picture of the Colosseum reached $133,000
· A still-life by Jean-Baptiste Garnier, sold for $94,000.
Freeman’s attracts an international audience and is best known for continually offering quality material. Our team of specialists and consultants is able to advise on the current market and help clients achieve the best results by reaching a world-wide buying base. We welcome consignments, from single objects to entire collections, and respond with discretion and expertise. Please contact a member of Freeman’s European Art and Old Masters department if you wish to discuss purchasing or consigning paintings and sculpture from this period.