Freeman’s holds an esteemed place as America's oldest auction house and as one of the country’s first family-owned businesses. The company was founded by Tristram Bampfylde Freeman in 1805 and remained in the hands of the Freeman family for six generations with landmark sales throughout its storied history. In 2016, controlling interest of the auction house was transferred to an internal management team in support of an ambitious growth strategy and desire to elevate the brand both nationally and internationally. At the onset of 2020, Freeman’s opened its new flagship location in Center City’s prestigious 2400 Market Street and a second Philadelphia location at 1600 West Girard Avenue.
Due to our optimal distance from the major cities of New York and Washington, D.C., the works we sell garner extra attention since they are positioned at the forefront of campaigns, as opposed to lost in the noise of a busy and crowded sale season.