April 19, 2016 10:00 EST

American Furniture, Decorative & Folk Art

 
  Lot 13
 
Lot 13 - Pair of Federal carved and inaid mahogany heart-back side chairs

13

Pair of Federal carved and inaid mahogany heart-back side chairs
maryland, circa 1800

H: 38 3/4 in.

Provenance: Property Deaccessioned by the Mount Vernon Ladies' Association.
Probably presented to the Mount Vernon Ladies' Association in 1877 through Miss Emily L. Harper, Vice Regent for Maryland (1866-1891), and were displayed in the Study.
Four individuals are known to have donated chairs through her including: Mr. Robert Goodhue Harper Carroll, Mrs. William C. Pennington, and Henry Jenkins and his son, all of Baltimore, Maryland.

Sold for $5,312
Estimated at $3,000 - $5,000


 

H: 38 3/4 in.

Provenance: Property Deaccessioned by the Mount Vernon Ladies' Association.
Probably presented to the Mount Vernon Ladies' Association in 1877 through Miss Emily L. Harper, Vice Regent for Maryland (1866-1891), and were displayed in the Study.
Four individuals are known to have donated chairs through her including: Mr. Robert Goodhue Harper Carroll, Mrs. William C. Pennington, and Henry Jenkins and his son, all of Baltimore, Maryland.

Emily Louisa Harper (1812-1892)
Emily Louisa Harper served as Vice Regent for Maryland from 1866 to 1891. Miss Harper was the daughter of General Robert Goodloe Harper and granddaughter of Charles Carroll of Carrollton, Maryland. Famous in society as well as in charity causes, Miss Harper received the Golden Rose award from the Pope. Her papers are in the collection of the Maryland Historical Society.

Images *

Drag and drop .jpg images here to upload, or click here to select images.