Works by British artists from private collections stole the spotlight at Freeman’s November 1 Modern & Contemporary Art auction. More than 500 bidders from 30 countries competed for the 159 lot sale, which achieved a sale total of nearly $1.4 million. Drawing attention from serious collectors after being part of a traveling exhibition to London and New York, the top lots were works by Lynn Chadwick, William Scott and John Hoyland. "There was a great deal of excitement leading up to the auction, and am pleased to see that translated into results in the salesroom,” said department head Anne Henry of the results.
International in scope, with genres ranging from Modernism to Minimalism, works from American private collections drew competition and headlined the top lots. Works by celebrated British artists Lynn Chadwick and Joyn Hoyland exceeded estimates and expectations; “Winged Figures Version II” sold for $137,000 and “9.1.75” by John Hoyland brought $131,000, respectively, after competitive bidding from around the globe. Artwork from The Collection of Jerome and Elaine Kurtz achieved nearly $400,000, including British artist William Scott’s “Change Back” which sold for $137,000 - doubling its pre-sale estimate. Continuing with the international theme, significant works from the Estate of Adele Lebowitz included Mexican artist Ricardo Martinez’s “Hijo Prodigo III” which achieved $118,750.
Top Lots from Freeman's November 1 Modern & Contemporary Art Auction
- Lynn Chadwick (British, 1914-2003) “Winged Figures Version II” Sold for $137,000
- William Scott (British, 1913-1989) “Change Back” Sold for $137,000
- John Hoyland (British, 1934-2011) “9.1.75” Sold for $131,000
- Ricardo Martinez (Mexican, 1918-2009) “Hijo Prodigo III” Sold for $118,750
- Alexander Calder (American, 1898-1976) “The Ancient Mariner” Sold for $68,750
- Sam Gilliam (American, B. 1933) “Cluster” Sold for $68,750
Images: Lynn Chadwick (British, 1914-2003) “Winged Figures Version II” Sold for $137,000; William Scott (British, 1913-1989) “Change Back” Sold for $137,000